November 15, 2009

Long Field Down South

No bad thing can come from riding in the back of trucks, and so that was the perfect way to end our trip last week. It was long field, and it was long, but went so quickly. We split into two groups (which was sad), and headed to completely different sides of the country. One group went to the site that I visited for my PCV visit, and I headed way down south to a little farm town called Isla Ro´y which means ¨cold island¨. It was exactly what I needed.
The countryside has a calmness too it. (the first picture is the view from my window). Luckily, it also followed the trend and gave us some time away from the heat, and away from the pressures of the routine life here.
I also got an amazing family. I was placed with a young married couple, age 28 in a new house close to others. They are both professors at the local school, one in elementary school and one at high school. Also, about the school, kids come on horses, from up to 20 kilometers away to get there... finally, a legitimate reason to not have school when it rains.
Besides stories of the crazy situations the town has brought its volunteer, the week went smoothly and was a great idea of all the potential work we will have at site. We finally successfully captured a wild hive. It may have helped that it was open and under a road stop rather than in a tree, but it was nice to end a traciago on a positive note, especially in a place where the bees will be utilized and provide additional income.
Beyond bees, we got to give two charlas, utilize our Guarani, and teach the local kids to play frisbee. I also ate grilled Carpincho (everyone should probably google image what that is). And it was delicious.
My other two favorite activities of the week were the sunsets and fishing. For some reason, despite the flatness and lack of mountains or snow for the sun to reflect, the countryside here produces amazing sunsets (as you can see on the attached foto).
Fishing was also amazing. The long awaited trip began in the back of the truck (see the shadow foto) headed out towards the river, where the land had been flooded only a few days before. The truck ride out was amazing, as riding in the backs of trucks generally goes, until suddenly we stopped as the road went below water again. Take off your shoes and roll up your pants, said the choffer, and despite having seen my first extremely poisonness snake earlier in the day, I trudged through the mud with my shoes around my neck and began the two kilometer trek to the water´s edge. Besides a few pricks and very squishy mud between the toes, the walk was beautiful, and the arrival at the river buggy. But fishing with expired cow meat we caught 3 piranas and a catfish! Then trecked back through the mud pits as the sun faded, and went back to town to eat the cake my host family made to say goodbye.
The trip was great, and needed. In the everyday schedule here its easy to forget why we are here, and the trip reminded me in every way. Paraguayans are what make this country; the beauty of the countryside, the chances to go fishing, the ample wild beehives, and everything else are just icing on the cake. There are still things here that will bother me, most likely for the next two years, but the trip confirmed that I want to be here.
This is a good thing, considering I get my site assignment on wednesday! This wednesday I will be told where I will be living for the next two years. I will hopefully be able to post my location soon! After that its off for a future site visit, and I will keep you all posted on how it looks.

No comments:

Post a Comment